Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Was driving my Toyota Tundra on ghway when suddenly it lost

Customer Question

Was driving my Toyota Tundra on highway when suddenly it lost power. Once pulled over the side of the road it turned off and would not start back up. A/T oil temp and check engine light came on. Not sure what I should do. Had it towed home to see if I can do anything...
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine turns over good and battery is 1 year.
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2007 4.7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if possible. checked oil and water is good. Battery is charged.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Never changed gas filter or spark plugs. But car ran like new before this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

when trying to start it does the engine seem to spin over faster than normal or erratically?

How many miles are on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine seems to spin as normal. No real change other than it doesn't start. It has 68k miles
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you need additional information?

It sounds like the fuel pump may have gone out but you would have to verify that using a pressure gauge, let's see if it has spark to the spark plugs, remove one of the coils and the spark plug, re insert the spark plug into the coil and ground the body of the plug to a metal surface, when cranking the engine you should see a spark jump, lert me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My truck is at home and I'm at work. I will go during lunch and run this test and advise.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** is spark try to put some gas directly into the intake and see if it fires up and run for a second or two.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where exactly is the intake?

Sorry, there is a large intake hose coming from the air filter to the engine connecting to the throttle body and the intake chamber, take the top part of the air cleaner off and pout a little gas in the side that connects to the engine see if it starts up.

I have to go offline for about one hour, will check back with you then.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Checked for spark in it does spark. Did not put gas in intake yet as I do not have gas container. I can purchase one if needed? I've never replaced fuel filter so not sure if that would be a possibility or problem.

Ok, then its a possible fuel problem, no external filter on this one, let me know if it does anything when putting fuel in, you can also get a can of starting fluid from the autoparts stores, this may be easier, just spray it into any vacuum port opening on the intake chamber.