Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Check engine light does not come on. Does not come on, so it

Customer Question

Check engine light does not come on .
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Does not come on, so it won't go through inspection
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Tundra 2004 club cab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oxygen sensor, bad fuse, no faults now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 200000miles runs great
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, just to make sure I am on the same page, the check engine light does not come on when you turn the key to the on position for its normal self check, correct?

If so, I need to get the 17 digit vin number to pull the schematics so we can trace the issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5TBDT44124S465250
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry, I will need to opt out and see if another expert can help. I dont have the wiring schematic for the check engine light circuit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK waiting to hear!
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you said there are no codes, does the scanner communicate when connected to the diagnostic port and give you a message that there are no codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ted Ritter! R U still there?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, had to go offline for a bit.

There is a chance that the bulb may just be burned out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to the work myself, is it hard to replace and ware is it located? Only thing that prevents me from passing inspection.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Let me check o something and get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thank U!
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You can remove the instrument cluster and then access the bulb on the back of the circuit board. At the back you'll see a couple of electrical connectors, there are two wires related to the check engine light, a red/blue and a violet/green one, the red/blue should be hot with the key on when measured to body ground, if this is ok, turn the key off, connect the voltmeter or test light from the R/B to the V/G there should be voltage there when the key is turned on for a few seconds and then go off, if this checks out the bulb is the problem, the manual shows this to be an lead so make sure you get it from the Toyota dealer for the correct one.