Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

2004 TOYOTA Sienna xl AWD. My daughter was driving it and

Customer Question

2004 TOYOTA Sienna xl AWD. My daughter was driving it and the speedometer started to go up to 100 and then to zero. The AC would not work if you turned on the radio. She made it to a gas station and when I went to get her, the battery seemed dead. I jumped the van and it started, but when you step on the gas, nothing. the engine doesn't rev, it just stays at idle (no RPM registering on the Tach).
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I think you might have some separate issues going on, but let's address the more pressing issue of no throttle response first:

There is a 10 amp fuse in the under hood fuse box labeled ETCS. Check to make sure that fuse isn't blown.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jared, I am not with the van at the moment. It will be a few hours until I can get back to it. Is there any other steps I should take when i get there or just email you back?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it is blown, what would cause that?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The ETCS fuse powers the throttle control system and almost always blows when jump starting. If it's blown, replace it and then try to start the engine normally and see if the throttle response has come back. From there we will need to see what the remaining symptoms are.

It's possible that the battery or alternator could be going bad and causing the electrical hic-ups that you described, but we really need to get it running again to be sure.

I'll check back in this evening to see if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Etc fuse ok. Swapped it with some light to be sure. Noticed no response on any gauges when it starts. Idling very rough.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Almost feels like timing is off
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Still no throttle response?

I assume the check engine light is on?

Is there a chance that the gas pedal was being pressed the first time it was jumped? This may have re-learned the throttle position to the wrong spot on accident.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It is a definite possibility that the timing belt could have jumped. They will occasionally do that on the sienna.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional info.