Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2009 Matrix. The car was sputtering and then lost

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Matrix. The car was sputtering and then lost power. I had the plugs checked and fuel pump replaced. The car turns over, but dies out. The fuel is not getting to the motor.
JA: Have you checked the spark plugs? When was your air filter last changed?
Customer: The spark plugs were checked, and the air filter was replaced last year.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've replaced the fuel pump. I don't know what else to do.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

If the engine starts and runs how long does it run before shutting off? Have checked it for any diagnostic codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been trying to do this on my own. I haven't taken it to the shop to run a diagnostic.

Ok, I understand, does it start at all? does it run and shut off right away? I'm trying to get some kind of idea what is going on with this engine so I have to ask some questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine did turn over, sputter, and then die. Now, it doesn't turn over at all.

By turn over do you mean that the engine is cranking with the starter but not fire up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It would fire up and then die. Now, it does not fire up.

Have you check for spark at the coils, where the spark plugs go into the connector? Do you happen to have a 12 volt test light or voltmeter?

If you need more time to do this we can continue tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, tomorrow would be great.

Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A friend checked the connector for the spark plugs and rechecked the fuel pump; they're working. He said that it is the fuel relay, and that I have to take the car to the dealer.

If the fuel pump is working how can it be a relay? maybe it's better that you have a dealer look at it , this is beyond what I can deal with here not having access to the car.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know, that's why I posted.
Thank you for your feedback. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the dealer, can't be helped.

I understand, sorry but it is what it is, I can only do so much here online, good luck.