Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

I read some other forums and they say that in the event that

Customer Question

I read some other forums and they say that in the event that the hybrid system does start to over charge the battery. Even the optima battery will start to vent. Is this true?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. I'm not completely sure I understand your question. Have you replaced the factory battery with an optima battery? Have you encountered some sort of failure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I have not replaced with an optima before. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer and spend 500 dollars and wait 2 weeks to get delivered. So I'm trying to use a optima battery since from what I read a hybrid needs a deep cycle battery. And an optima is a good substitute. But there is also a lot of discussion of making sure I vent the gases and use the factory components to make sure I hook up to a new battery. I heard optima batterys are completely sealed. I just want to confirm if this is a safe choice.Thanks
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

OK, now I understand what you are asking. Have you checked with your dealer as to the availability of a Toyota True Start battery to install in your vehicle? This is generally a much less expensive option and they are available for many hybrid models. You DO want to use a battery that can be vented to the outside of the vehicle. In my opinion, an optima would not be a good choice.