HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Toyota Certified
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

I have a 2001 toyota sienna with a blinking ac light....I

Customer Question

I have a 2001 toyota sienna with a blinking ac light....I have replaced the compressor, the climite control head unit and the ac reley in engine compartment..but still blinking...runs for seconds get cold then blinks...belt is tight...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having with the light flashing can be caused by any of the following,

• Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Relay
  • Clutch Lock Sensor
  • Harness
  • Magnetic Clutch

In order to determine which is causing this you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for responding I will do these these steps today and let you know...thank you again
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Sure thing, Im here all day if need be.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have worked through most of list I am at number 4 what wire going into ac clutch is suppose to be 12 volts brown red? Or something else need that 12 volts to test
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok...found 12 volt wire at compressor plug...grey before plug white after plug applied 12 volts ac works but light still ac amplifier does not like voltage signal...I have tried different compressors and different head units...same thing...also checked voltage at battery with air on and radar vans running...13 volts...not sure but thought that should be higher but not sure with all those running.. what do you think about it all?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, did the replacement compressors you have used come with a new speed sensor on the compressor? Does the clutch come on for a second and go off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought a brand new one from napa...the clutch comes on for 3 seconds then clicks off the voltage at the compressor was 11.4..the voltage at battery was 12.4 and when I ran a jumper wire to compressor the ac worked perfect but light still
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok and the speed sensor came with the compressor. If that is the case then there must be a loss of input for the compressor speed sensor. Inspect the wiring from the compressor back to the vehicle. Do you need a schematic for the circuit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't need one I bought the toyota factory manuels....I have traced it back to radiator but everything looks fine...the vehicle has been in a wreak before in front and I think it may be the reason this has happened but I don't know where to go from here..m
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok being that the car was in an accident, try overlaying a new circuit from the sensor back to the control system. This will eliminate a wiring issue. Since the compressor is new, this should be fine, so it will come down to a wiring issue or problem with the control system itself for it to cause the lamp to flash.