Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Moon roof is not working. Fuse is ok

Customer Question

Moon roof is not working. Fuse is ok
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What is your voltage on each side of the fuse?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
12 and 0 volts
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Then its no good. Replace it and recheck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I checked the voltage on both sides of the fuse, should fuse been in or out?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

In. Check it with the fuse in.. touch your probe to the holes in the top of the fuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Touch multi meter probes to the holes in the fuse. There is 12V on both sides of the fuse. When pushing the moon roof switch there is no noise or movement of the moon roof.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Do you know how to remove the switch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't know how to remove the switch.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

That whole housing has to be removed from the headlliner for you to access the back of the wires. I dont have a seperate R&R procedure on it. Its saying you have to remove the whole headliner... so its a big job. You may be able to find a shortcut on youtube or something. I havent had to remove one yet but I imagine theres an easier way. If you can get it down I can help you test it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would rather not pull the switch housing down if it only contains the switches. In my option the best way to trouble-shoot is to begin at power source. What about the power control relay Moon Roof Control Relay. Where is the Moon Roof Control Relay located and how can I trouble shoot it?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

I fail to understand how a bad relay is providing power to the fuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You will need to look at the schematic for the sun roof.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Im looking at the schematic., The power goes straight from the sunroof fuse to the sunroof module/motor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My schematic shows it going from the 30A fuse through the Power Main Relay to the Moon Roof Control Relay to the Motor. Also, shows a 20A Dome fuse going to the Moon Roof Control Relay to open the gates and control power to the motor. I'm inclined to the think the problem is either the 20A dome fuse or the moon roof control relay. Could you tell where the moon roof control relay is located in the car?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Where is your schematic from?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found it on the Internet. Autoshop101.com/forms/allinone.pdf. Page 43
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

And youre taking that generic (outdated) diagrams view on this issue even though it doesnt apply to your car?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks for the update. Not sure where I'll take it from here. There is no way I'm going to take to take the head liner down. Do you know the procedure to take the switch module down?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Doing exactly what you just said youre not going to do.