Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I had the engine replaced in my 2001 Toyota Celica. It

Customer Question

I had the engine replaced in my 2001 Toyota Celica. It supposedly had 69,000 miles on it. I am going through about a quart of oil every 250 miles. No leaks under the car and no smoke. The mechanic that replaced the engine has replaced the valve guide seals and checked the PCV system. Any other ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Celica.

If you don't see any oil leaks on the outside then the missing oil is Leaking internally. (or someones is stealing/draining it out)

Have you checked the coolant to see if any oil has made its way into the cooling system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I haven't checked that but I would assume that my mechanic would have checked that already for signs of a blown head gasket. I am at work now, but will personally check tonight. Can I get back to you later?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
More information: this leak has been happening for over a year now.

Yes, please get back with me. If there is no oil in the coolant and it's not leaking outside through engine seals, (again assuming someone isn't stealing it) then the only other place it can go is by being burned.