Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Sure. My OD was working fine & will no longer engage.

Customer Question

Sure. My OD was working fine & will no longer engage. Possible solinoid
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your on/off switch and light are operating properly but you have no OD this can be due to a fault with the torque converter lock up solenoid itself.I have seen this solenoid fail on several models in the past before and had to replace it for issues like this here.You would want to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set and from there the codes diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.Usually the solenoid assembly is the most common cause.I have seen some of these run over $100 and around 2.5 hours labor to have replaced.I would have this checked further to be sure this is the cause using a scan tool and in some cases a transmission fluid pressure test gauge.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does this early of a model Tundra even have adequate scan codes to diagnose in this fashion? Is it possible this could be something as minor as an electrical connection that has broken or vibrated loose?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd simply like some pointers to check, before I send this thing in to be gouged for a $500 repair, when it's something minor & relatively non-intrusive I can fix myself. I have pretty decent mechanical & electrical skills & can fix most things myself. I reserve the more serious issues to the pros, as I don't always have the time. I just want to make sure I've dotted the i's & crossed the t's...
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

This model being a 2001 does have a computer that will store code info for issues like this here.It is not the best info or data stored like the new models but if a fault is detected with a transmisison solenoid or valve body issue the computer should store a code making it easier to diagnose further.

The first thing that needs done is to have the codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then from there diagnosed if any codes are set.If no codes are set then this will take a scan tool that has function capabilities to operate the solenoids and a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to help test the solenoids and transmission components for the issue here.

In some cases this will have to be fully tested by a dealer or transmission repair facility that has the correct test equipment unfortunately.

It is very possible this is wiring damage to the transmission or transmission connector at fault not allowing the command signal for the torque converter.I would have the wiring checked to see if the fault can be pinpointed with it as well but the first thing that does need done is codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool for your model.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete