rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have problem with my Toyota RAV4. Oil pressure light comes

Customer Question

Hello. I have problem with my Toyota RAV4. Oil pressure light comes on after few minutes of driving. Than when stops and swith of the engine after 30sec to a 1 minute you can hear clearly click sound. If you start the engine right after the engine oil presslight dissappear and can drive for another 3-5 min until the light comes bacon again. If you tryto start the engine before the click oil light stays on. Could it be a faulty oil press switch or perhaps it's a bigger problem?
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: No the engine light does not come on and not sure about the oil pump as I have just bought the car. The car is 2002 so I'm guessing the pump have never been changed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. I wanted to clean the oil sump, as I thought this maybe just some dirt in oil, but the click made me wonder if the problem is elsewhere
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The oil seems clean on the dip stick so it may have been changed not long time ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would test the oil pressure with a gauge, you don't want to run this engine if there is a problem like that, you will ruin it.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know that, but I was hoping you can tell me what I should be looking for. Could it be a sensor, pump or piston rings, etc. Question is what is this clicking noise. It's just one click and there was no noises while driving.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

A bad oil pump, and hopefully you don't have a sludge buildup in the engine causing that. If there is sludge, that would mean an engine oil flush with a machine. The click sound bothers me, it tells me that there is really an issue, and NOT any sensor.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks. I'll get it to my local garage than.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

You bet, thank you too. Please rate me now:)