Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Replaced my alternator, now car bogs down when stopping.

Customer Question

Replaced my alternator, now car bogs down when stopping. Getting a C1241 diagnostics code.
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Took to parts house and they scanned and got a C1241 code. When looked up, it says it is high power low voltage. I also replaced the battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2006 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was planning on doing it myself. Nothing for this yet. As I said it has never done this before I replaced the battery and alternator today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That it was running fine till yesterday when it just died. Found out I had a bad alternator and an old battery. I put a new battery and alternator in it today. And now it idles down every time I come to a stop. When parts house checked it, they got a C1241 code.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. When you disconnected the battery, you cleared the learned information in the computer memory. So, the computer goes back to base line information to control the engine. What happens here is the throttle body has a small amount of buildup around the throttle plate. Over time, the computer adjusts for this and opens the throttle plate a little more to allow for proper air flow. But, since it has lost that information, the air flow is decreased because the computer is opening the throttle plate less and restricting air flow. All that to say, the simple fix to this is to get some throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner and clean the throttle body very well. This will solve your idling issue.