Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I changed battery in my Toyota Camry. When I changed it i

Customer Question

I changed battery in my Toyota Camry . When I changed it i used wrong kind of battery with positive and negative backward and the alarm sounded . Changed to a correct battery and car would not do anything. Checked fuses . Changed a couple that has gone bad and also changed the entire fusible link assembly . Everything is working now but car will not crank . What could it be ?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you need anymore info?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Do you have a digital volt meter or a 12 volt test light so we can test for power at some of the fuses in the fuse box? Can you be more specific about the fusible link assembly you replaced. Was it the bus bar? A picture would help me see exactly what you've already done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have that and have checked and replaced all fuses that were bad under the hood . We did change the bus bar.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her is a picture of the part we replaced
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We also changed other fuses that were bad
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you get the picture of what we changed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still working on my question?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Check this picture. Was the fusible link you replaced unit A or unit B?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Patience is a virtue. To give you the best and most accurate information, I have to look up specific information just for your particular vehicle. Unfortunately, today's modern vehicle is very complicated and you really don't want me guessing on things without having found the EXACT information for your vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is a picture from under the hood . The fusible link assembly we changed is rhe long blue that ends with 33030. All the fuses under the hood are good now
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Is this a smart key vehicle, or a conventional key?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Smart key
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Does the green light on the start button come on when you enter the vehicle and step on the brake pedal? Do the brake lights operate when you step on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

At the starter, there are 2 connectors. First one is a large wire coming directly from the battery and is attached with a lug held on by a nut. Check it, and make sure it has battery voltage to it Using a volt meter. Next, we will want to backprobe the other connector. I will attach a link to a video showing what we mean by backprobing. Basically, we will be creating an external testing source at the connector while leaving it connected. The video shows testing using a T pin, but you can use any small straight pin or even an open safety pin. The small wire should have battery voltage when you attempt to start the vehicle.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

https://youtu.be/-8qMyyH0Mb4

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I will check that . Please send me the video link
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

https://youtu.be/-8qMyyH0Mb4

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help. We actually tested the coils and no spark so we changed the fuse underneath the instrument panel that controls that and IT STARTED. Thanks again. I will give you a great rating!
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** under the impression it didn't crank, but happy to see you've got it going.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It would not crank ... When we checked the coils all 4 were not getting spark so when we changed the fuse that goes to that.. It cranked right up.. Thanks again!
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thank you.