Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

89 Camry check engine light. What do I check?

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, under the hood on the drivers side of the engine bay near the left strut tower will be a small box marked diagnosis. Pop open the cover. Inside the cover the terminals are marked. Take a paper clip or jumper wire and jump across terminals T and E1 or TE1 and E1, turn the key to on and watch the check engine light, it will flash 1 1 3 times for a pass code 11 and flash other codes in series to indicate what code(s) are stored, once you know what codes are stored I can tell you more of what to check or test.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.

Hello, the expert tech you were working with has opted out for some reason, do you still need help with this or a better explanation on how to get the diagnostic codes, since the check engine light is on there are some trouble code numbers in the cars computer, knowing what the code is helps determine what the problem may be so we don't have to guess what it may be and replace unesessary parts.