Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

RAV4 2007, 85,000mi. I let the oil run low (has known oil

Customer Question

RAV4 2007, 85,000mi. I let the oil run low (has known oil consumption problem).
Strong ticking sound, alarms my father's BMW mechanic. Says it sounds like valve (spring, cam). His hourly is Ferrari expensive, so he sent me to a friend he trusts. Friend said it could be even be wrist-pin or worse.
Am I looking at a huge bill?
What should I ask the mechanic to determine if he is reliable (or to sound like I am too knowledgeable to BS)?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately if it was ran low on oil then it may very well be an expensive repair. The only way to know the extent of the damage is going to be to tear the engine down for an inspection, there is no way to know the cost of this repair with out a tear down as well. Your going to need to ask how much damage was done to the bearing as well as the crankshaft journals and Cam. If the damage is extensive you may want to consider replacing the engine. Have the tear down done and your decision can be made from there.