Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Here is my problem. Toyota ghlander 2007. My check engine

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Here is my problem. Toyota Highlander 2007. My check engine light came on. I went to a Toyota dealer where they are rad the code, cleared the code, then read the code when it returned. The code was P0051, HO2S heater control circuit low. Their fix was to replace the bank 2 sensor 1 component. I bought the part and changed myself. I then bought an Elm327 scan tool and downloaded OBD2 app in phone, read the codes from the scan, then cleared the code. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. I then used the scan tool and logged a report in my phone. If interested, I can type in the results. Bot***** *****ne is that the bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor one each register 3.3V with car On but not running. Ideas?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Light does not flash, stays constantly lit, along with VSC light. Highlander runs great, no fuel issues. When monitoring the vehicle while driving ( you did not really hear that) the fuel efficiency showed 17 mpg or higher.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My message above shows what I tried.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did notice that the short term fuel % trim bank 2 never changed but bank 1 changed values while driving. I thought of the fuse, but I see a voltage, so doubt that is it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Which sensor (location as in front bank or rear bank) did you replace?