Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My 2003 echo has no spark on three cylinders : echo 4dr : it

Customer Question

my 2003 echo has no spark on three cylinders
JA: What is the model of your '03 Toyota?
Customer: echo 4dr
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it originally was misfiring on one cylinder. i replaced plugs, coil/boot and fuel injector on cylider 4
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 225K. it was a steady misfire. diagnostics said cyl 4 misfire
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i pulled boot coil and plug to check for spark, only one had any
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This car's coil system shares a common ground across the coils. If one coil is bad, it can cause the next coil to fail, and cause a misfire, even though the faulty coil does not exhibit a misfire. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to replace all of the coils on thsi car with genuine Toyota replacement parts. Non-Toyota coils can cause the problem to reoccur, as they do not have the adequate ground isolation (which is most likely causing the problem in the first place).

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer