Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

How would I get my airbag light to turn off i checked the

Customer Question

How would I get my airbag light to turn off i checked the connection in the steering wheel and under it. This problem is on my 93 Toyota corolla
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

The air bag light can come on for many different reasons. Most common is a broken connection, inside, where the spiral cable is located. This is the unit (commonly called a "clockspring" connects the steering column wiring to the air bag module located in the center of the steering wheel. An air bag system scan via a Toyota dealer service dept would confirm this. I would not recommend replacement of the spiral cable unless it is proven to be faulty via the scan. Other items that could illuminate the light are problems with either of the two crash sensors on the front of the car, the air bag main control module (it is under the center of the console..if coffee or soft drinks get spilled in the console, the connections for the main air bag moduel could get compromised). Before you start replacing parts that may not fix this, get a scan and replace the part that is indicated as faulty

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My other question is is it safe to drive without there being a possibility. Of the air bag going off on me with that light on with

When the air bag light is ON, the air bag will NOT deploy in the event of a collision. The air bag will not deploy while you are driving. As long as the light is on, the deployment system is deactivated.