Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

HAVE 1991 PICK UP WITH re22 ENGINE. Got it with the igniter

Customer Question

HAVE 1991 PICK UP WITH re22 ENGINE. Got it with the igniter plug cut off and a newer type igniter {94-95} sitting in place. Nothing wired up, and the reason for the no spark was a timing chain, not igniter...coil...wires....ect. Anyhow installed new chain and wired up this new style igniter and the engine only trys to fire, crank the dist. way out of range and it will fire up and run like crap, then stalls. Yes the chain is on right. Guess what I was wondering is if I need to buy the igniter of that year or not. Can get ahold of any "real" shop manuals to see if I can make this work, or even go the GM mod hook up. No I don't want to V8 it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

After reading your initial post, I feel I need to clarify a few things before we can start:

- As an expert on this site, my only goal is to help you solve your issue - I won't tell you to "V8 it"

- As an expert, I not only have technical knowledge and experience, I also have access to extensive databases that serve as reference to back up my advise

Having said that, I can only help you if you keep an open mind and follow my instructions. For example, you post "Yes the chain is on right", yet the way you have to turn the distributor just to make the engine start tells me basic timing is off - the igniter itself has nothing to do timing.

Lastly, all my good intentions and all my resources won't help you unless you have the tools needed to diagnose and repair these issues.

So, my advice would be to start with a compression test - should be more than 142 psi evenly across all four cylinders. If not, chances are timing is off, which might imply valves are bent.