Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

We have a 1993pickup. The dash lights and tail lights

Customer Question

we have a 1993*****pickup. The dash lights and tail lights recently stopped working. We still have break, Hazard and headlights. Fuses are fine. Taillight relay seems to be fine. All bulbs are fine.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: approximately 120000 miles. The truck starts normally. Incidentally, on very rare occasions since this started, the the ignition switch buzzer that indicates the key has been left in when you open the driver's door has been going off when the key is not in the ignition.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes my husband is trying to fix this himself.there is continuity between the hot wire to the taillights and the frame.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: all wiring is original. He has added nothing to it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

If there is continuity between the power supply wire to the tail lights and the frame it's a short circuit to ground which should cause the "tail" fuse to blow, the dash lights are also on this same fuse, we need to check for voltage coming in and make sure there is voltage going out of the tail fuse, so please check the tail fuse with the key on and on both ends of the fuse, let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok we will recheck everything with the key on. Back shortly.

I'll be here