Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I purchased a 02' Tacoma about 3 months ago. The dealer I

Customer Question

I purchased a 02' Tacoma about 3 months ago. The dealer I purchased it from said they had to change a "O2 sensor" on it due to skipping. Since then I have had many of days with this headache...The check engine light is constantly on. As I proceed to drive it, it starts flashing! I took it to O'Reillys to check the codes. Codes read mis-fire on #2 cylinder and also the same o2 sensor the dealership changed 3 months ago!! Please help IM LOST with this issue!!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What needs to be changed?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Also on my way to work tonight I pulled over on side of road and noticed the catalytic converter is glowing HOT!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Approx 168000
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes my self
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: I have changed spark plugs and coil packs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

sorry you having this problem I will try to help you with it .

Can you tell me what are the fault code # *****'reilly gave you like( as an example P0302 and P0171) , can you get me exact codes and also a vin#'

these are pretty good trucks , they are changing the sensor or the plugs , but that is not the issue , but let me start with u getting me the codes retrieved ?

please let me know

i m online daily from 10 till 12 pm , I just saw you posted your question , in case you didn't get me tonight since i'm signing off in 10 minutes , i will talk to you tomorrow .

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will have to get that information for you and it will be waiting on your return to work!! Thank you and have a Blessed day!

Hi sir

I m looking forward to hear from you just reply back on this post when you get Fault codes and I will help you with it

If I m out of my office , I will get an email that you replied , if you see me online I should answer within 10 min , if m not online I will see it when i log back in .

Thank You

Chad Fahat

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Coded read: P0304 & P0171......vin # *****

ok good let look them up and i will get back with you thanks

I know on top of my head 171 is o2 sensor and the p304 is a misfire number 4

you did say the that the o'reilly scan said #2 misfire but now the misfire moved to # ***** how long ago was oreilly scan and tell me how does the truck drives does it experience lack of power especial, up hill or when u get on the gas pedal ?

thanks

if they replaced the o2 sensor , then we need to check power to the o2 sensor and the ground , the sensor probably good but the ground or power is missing

do you have a test light to check fuses

I like to look up the wiring diagram and see the flow of circuit from o2 sensor to ecm and also the circuit igntion coils ?

and can you tell me if coils are original if you know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went back to O'Reillys this morning and had it rechecked on the codes. Yes have a test light. And the coils was just replaced. I had put them my self and I installed the appropriately 3 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lacking power up hill but not as much as down hill. Shakes terrible

ok i m going to study the circuit and maybe we can set up a time we can do it and i will send u the diagram location of the connectors we want check,

what is your schedule , like tommorwow

2.7 liter or 3.4 liter u have

1

2

hey u still with me

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sir. Sorry I'm at work. But yes mine is 2.7.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am off work all day tomorrow and tomorrow night!

no problem i understand

ok sounds good i will talk to you tomorrow night

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u Mr. Chad for your patience and time!!!

you welcome sir