Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2006 rav4 4 2.4 Liter A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold air

Customer Question

JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: no cold air
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: potentially
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: not sure if this is a variable speed compressor or not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I used a can of A/C pro. Turned A/C on full and checked pressure from low-pressure connection. System showed significantly over pressure (I did not charge the system prior to this - simply checked pressure). This suggests to me the compressor was not pressurizing in the loop. I attempted to identify a fuse for a magnetic clutch, etc., but the fuse location for is actually an empty space. Perhaps this is a variable speed compressor? Car is a 4 cylinder. Went from working fine to no longer blowing cold air quickly (i.e., no slow degradation of performance - it was sudden).
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The pressure on the low side will be high almost the same as the high side if the compressor is not running,

A sudden stop of cooling sounds like it's an electrical issue, there should be an a/c mc clutch relay in the fuse box under the hood, it's labeled in the cover of the fuse box, try another relay in it's place, there should be one in the box that works, the horn relay is the same.

It's also possible that the a/c clutch is the problem, can you tell if it turns on or cycles on and off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Given the sudden stop of function, I also thought likely electrical. However, when I got into the fuse box, the the MG Clutch relay location is actually an empty hole within the box (not an empty socket, but a pass through hole with no plug receptacle in which to install a relay). Reading on forums, I believe this means the system actually is based on a variable speed compressor. There is no relay/fuse to swap out to test. Visual inspection of the compressor leads me to believe the same. 1) Is my interpretation correct that it is a variable speed compressor? 2) Assuming so, are there other fuses or relays that then need to be checked?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should say variable displacement rather than variable speed. I found this thread, though in reference to a 2007 rather than a 2006: <http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/121914-2007-rav4-ac-not-working.html>It references the fact that the I4 engine compressor also incorporated some sort of breakaway pulley. Page BE-32 of this doc (<http://rav4world.com/pdf/2006/ac_description.pdf>) describes the structure of the compressor. Perhaps the spring or the plastic pulley failed??? If so, that would suggest a need to replace the compressor, but hoping to rule out electrical first.

If it has auto climate control the compressor is controlled by a separate computer whci has the aility to store diagnostic codes, this is going to need dealer attention so I will opt out.