sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My sienna 2005 shuts off completely while driving at slow

Customer Question

my sienna 2005 shuts off completely while driving at slow speeds. everything turns off and I can start it back up as soon as I put on park
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is 3 months old. has 111000. have replaced kranck sensor coils and I have the knock sensor in hand to replace. the mechanic said the cat converter was clogged he stripped it and still the same.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I can't the scanner say it doesn't have power to coils that's way over me I have carbon mechanic the same one said the cat was the problem I about to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: pick it up do cause h just guessing and I can do that lol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're setting coil primary circuit codes yet the coils are new then you likely have a loss of power to them, but it could possibly be an internal ECM issue. Once in a while incorrect cam timing will set a coil code but that probably isn't the case in this situation.

Do you know what P codes are currently setting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't remember but is about not getting spark to coil is 51 thru 56
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
p0351 thru p0356

Does it restart immediately or does it stay in a non starting condition?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when put in park it starts right away

Are you able to monitor the power feeds to the coils to see if they become erratic or drop out while the engine is still turning?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no I am not but the mechanic working on it I hope can. its frustrating its been a month already and no one gets it fixed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
runs strong no lack of power at all but it keeps cutting off

The problem may be in the engine controller but it's more likely to be wiring. All six coil drivers aren't going to go down at the same time unless there is a wiring issue, it's more likely that the coils are losing their shared power feed. I would start by testing the power feeds and go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well they have a pcm to install since the problem started I did think of wires but is when its running at low speeds so I didnt think about that been a problem since it don't shut off while sitting at home idling
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

The PCM is definitely a possibility but they don't often fail, if it was me I'd try to diagnose the issue before jumping to replacing the PCM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I been trying and the mechanic has his head up his butt with this one. lol. he even taken out cat converters thinking they clogged

If he thought a restricted catalytic converter could cause ignition coil codes then I'd recommend getting the van to another shop, preferably a dealer. Tampering with catalytic converters is a federal offense in any event and if caught it would net him a fine more than what this vehicle cost new.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well in this island there's no penalty or way for them to check if car has cat or not. well I had taken it to Toyota dealer and they tell me everything good and as soon as I leave car shut off again.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they say everything is good can't find the problem

They'll need to keep it long enough for it to act up and test while the problem is happening. If they were unable to duplicate the problem then they couldn't have done any testing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's what said they had it for a day at the end of the day they said everything was good and then next day it did the same

They'll need to keep it and drive it long enough to allow the problem to happen and test. I would recommend leaving it with them for a few days or as long as necessary.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wanted to they didn't they said it wasn't necessary since engine light wqe off and it didn't shut off while idle

If it's not something you're able to diagnose and repair yourself and the dealer is unwilling to help then I'd recommend another independent shop.