sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My alarm is routinely going off at 130 am. I want to disable

Customer Question

my alarm is routinely going off at 130 am. I want to disable it before getting into the dealer tomorrow. How do I do this? Corolla S5 2011.
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 58,000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it just goes off some nights around the same time. No one is bothering it. could it be a battery dying?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes tonight.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just locking the door using my key...the alarm was activated though anyway.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Pressing the unlock button on the key fob is the quickest way to disarm the alarm. Starting the engine with a valid key should also disarm it but I'm assuming that you still have a functional fob.

The most likely cause for the alarm going off on it's own would be a bad ajar switch. If it sees activity on a door, hood or trunk ajar switch circuit while the alarm is set then it will go off. The issue coudl be a bad ajar switch, a short to ground on one of the ajar switch circuits, and in some cases I've seen door or striker adjustment issues cause this if the door is not closing properly.