rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I've got an 93 Toyota Celica GTS in pretty good shape that

Customer Question

I've got an 93 Toyota Celica GTS in pretty good shape that I've done a ton of work on over the past few years: 5SFE, MT. Runs well and mpgs are normal.
For the past year or so, it's had a "bouncing" idle at red lights (gets worse and worse in the summer heat), and I cannot figure out why. There's no sign of a vacuum leak, and I've replaced a lot of parts trying to solve the problem. Coasting up to intersection in neutral is fine, but sit for about 2 seconds and idle bounces between 400-700.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would use a smoke machine to smoke the intake, it sounds like there is a leak on the bottom side of it. Very hard to find without a smoker.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Also, do this on a cold engine so it is easier to show up.