john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

I just had all fluids replaced at my local dealer. On the

Customer Question

I just had all fluids replaced at my local dealer. On the way home the check engine, VSC , track off. And A/T oil lights came on. It seemed to have lost some power so I pulled over and stopped. The engine was making a dieseling sound and it stalled. There was also steam coming from the engine compartment. The temperature gauge was normal as was the oil pressure gauge. There was fluid thrown around by the fan and the radiator was not full. Any ideas?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: 128000 miles. The local Toyota dealer changed all fluids just today and checked codes. The receipt shows that they didn't do the radiator fluid. Also they cleaned the engine compartment.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I am mechanically capable but on newer vehicles I like to have the professionals do the work. So that I can complain to them when something like this happens.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No I think I have described in detail what happened today, it's just driving me nuts because I want to know what happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

have you towed it back to the dealer? does it have oil in it? have you checked the coolant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has oil, couldn't see the fluid when I took the radiator cap off. I'm getting it towed back tomorrow.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

if they just looked at the whole car something is wrong..all fluids being checked is part of every service at a dealership

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the vehicle remains in the trac off mode would that explain the reason for loss of power? As far as th coolant is concerned it never overheated because I was watching both oil pressure and water temperature and both were fine when I pulled off the highway.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

it sounds like you have a water pump failure or a coolant leak somewhere, but it could be so many different things you really need to have it checked for codes and a leak check done. The automatic AT light may have come on because the motor got hot, the transmission cooler is built into the radiator and the coolant temperature sensor will not read if there isn't any coolant in the system. I would give it back to that dealer ASAP

Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

No, the loss of power is from the motor overheating even though it didn't show on the gauge

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Water pump was shot. The trac off system activates because the check engine light came on. They cut me a deal because I asked about the water pump and timing belt for the initial maintenance that was done. Apparently some toyota v8 has a timing chain, but not this one. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

awesome glad I was correct hope you can rate me 5 star so I can get credit for my work

Expert:  john replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you