Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

No alarm key and truck won't start : Tested battery is

Customer Question

No alarm key and truck won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Tested battery is good everything else lights up and turns on but absolutely no action from the engine, the alarm light is blinking and a ticking sound is coming from it..
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Have tried to disarm the alarm with no success . Now the truck has been sitting for about a month.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken the battery out to be tested it is good , I have tried leaving the door open, the guy who tested the battery told Me that the truck has shut down because it triggered the alarm and I have to have a kill switch installed to override it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It is in excellent condition no real issues ever
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Hello

What year is the truck?

Is the alarm light a small LED mounted in the dash or just below the dash on a bracket?

Look for a toggle switch on the left kick panel and turn it to off/

Don't know what system you have but you can try the following:

disconnect the negative battery cable

put the key in and turn it to on

leave the door open

reconnect the battery

try to start it with door left open

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2001 yes has the led light ticking sound coming from it don't see a toggle switch disconnecting battery wish me luck check in with you . Email mei f you haven't heard in 10 minutes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope nothing happened .. the alarm light is still blinking everything else lights up.

Is the light mounted on a bracket on the bottom edge of the dash or in the face of the dash?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Face of the dashboard

Ok, can the light be depressed like a push button?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There's a hole where a button should be a push button but there is nothing to push I am using the key to try to push on it but nothing happens and the alarm light is still blinking...

It's possible that the button fell inside the dash, look under the dash there should be a couple of wires that supply the alarm computer, they may have inline fuses that you can pullout.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Opened the fuse box and can't feel anything loose or hanging now the ignition has locked and won't accept the key.

Do you mean you cant put the key in or it won't turn from the lock position?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Try moving the steering wheel side to side as much as you can while turning the key

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will not turn past the lock position now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay that worked.. ticking sound is still coming from the alarm

Sorry but I think Im going to have to opt out and see if someone else here has some suggestions for you.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 months ago.

Can you upload a picture of the light? What model vehicle are we working with?