Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

The vsc and check engine light has been on. When I drive it

Customer Question

The vsc and check engine light has been on. When I drive it on the open road it sometimes feels like a tire out of balance, flat tire or engine missing
JA: How many miles are on the tires?
Customer: about 25,000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have done some research and it says that this model has issues with ignition coils when the light stay on. I also bought a new gas cap last fall
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. It is highly likely you have ignition coil issues. A scan with a computer scan tool would prove this theory. Most auto-parts stores offer free scans (so they can sell you parts). However, if you have a P0300/P0301/P0302/P0303/etc code, I would recommend you use factory replacement coils. Non-factory coils can cause the check engine light to come back on.