Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

No start, did an engine swap from a 1995 4 Runner stick

Customer Question

No start, did an engine swap from a 1995 4 Runner stick shift to a 1988 P/U automatic. Got spark and good fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Any ideal?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you had the fuel pressure tested recently?
Customer: Only 75k and yes pressure is good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: R & R fuel pump
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: There is no fuel to injectors and cold start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting here

Sounds like the fuel pump may not be working, possibly a bad EFI or circuit opening relay or loss of power to either. If the fuel pump was tested out of the tank and is good and re installed locate the diagnostic connector under the hood, locate the terminals TE1,E1, B+ and Fp. With the key on measure voltage at the B+ terminal, if ok, put a jumper wire between the B+and Fp, this should activate the fuel pump directly, bypassing the relays, let me know how that goes so far.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuel pump is good. Good pressure but injectors are not spraying. Even the cold start injector.

Thanks for the reply

With the key on check for voltage to one of the injector connectors you can access, one of the wires should have 12 volts, the cold start injector only activates while cranking so one wire to it ( I think it's the black yellow) should have voltage while cranking, please check this and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check circuit opening relay and power to it while cranking voltage at Fp both ok. Then did test at injector connector while cranking no voltage.

Did you check at the injector of one of the cylinders or the cold start injector which did you check, the cylinder injectors should have 12 volts to one wire with the key on not cranking, please verify this for me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The injector and cold start no power at connectors. Where is the EFI and main Relays at?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.

The efi relay is in the fuse box under the hood near the right front fender, it may either be marked efi relay or engine main relay, check the efi fuse it should have power to it and the efi relay should have power to two terminals with the key on.