Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I have a 2008 ghlander. The liftgate stopped working. The

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Highlander. The liftgate stopped working. The dealer tells me the hinges and entire door need replacing to the tune of $4300! I have read in online forums that the hinges bend on the power lift doors and Toyota knows about this problem, but did not issue a recall for it. What can I do?
JA: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This is a unique circumstance. If your vehicle was in my shop, and you had this issue, the very first thing I would recommend to you would be to call the Toyota Customer Experience Center ("CEC") at 1-***-***-****. The CEC is empowered to assist customers in unique situations (failures such as this do qualify). I have observed the CEC absorb 50% of the repair costs on some of these situations. Before I went and did anything else, I would recommend you call the CEC< explain the issue, and see if they can help you out. A word of caution here: The CEC gets bombarded by irate customers all day long. The key here is to be as nice and calm as possible. Hopefully, they will help you out.