Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

I have a 2004 Sienna and the AC works fine normally at low

Customer Question

Hey Tom, I have a 2004 Sienna and the AC works fine normally at low speeds. But when I get out onto the highway after about 15 minutes it will slowly start getting warmer and then it's just warm. My mechanic thought it was a bad compressor. He replaced it. Nothing has changed. I've searched some different forums and nothing has been too helpful. Any thoughts? Kurt
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with having your mechanic recheck the systems pressure to be sure its correct, normal pressure at idle with the AC running needs to be 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and 200 to 225 PSI on the high side. If the pressure checks okay then have him check to see if the compressor is cycling off once the evaporator gets cold . If it dose not cycle it can cause the system to freeze up and you will loose cooling. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks! I'll have him try that.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They checked the pressure and they found no leaks. However, they believe that the problem is with the actual button on the interior control panel. It pushes harder than the other recirculating button. They said they had it running for two hours and that when it did blow warm they pressed it off and then on again and it worked. Sure it presses a bit hard but I have my doubts that replacing it will fix the issue completely and that thus is a suitable workaround. Could that actually be the problem? They said that the compressor was fine and was engaging when it should.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If there loosing power to the compressor then its is a possibility. I would have them check to see if in fact they are loosing power to the compressor from the switch.