Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

1996 Camry 4 cyl. All of a sudden my cruise control is

Customer Question

1996 Camry 4 cyl. All of a sudden my cruise control is pulsing when going downhill. Speedo is working fine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the cruise control "pulsing"? Is this related to controls or performance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The throttle comes on and off rapidly with the tach jumping along with it

Thank you for the explanation.

When the actual driving speed is higher than the set speed, the current to the Actuator flows from TERMINAL 11 of the ECU --> TERMINAL 7 of the Actuator --> TERMINAL 6 --> TERMINAL 12 of the ECU. This causes the motor in the Cruise Control Actuator to rotate to close the throttle valve and return the throttle cable to decrease the vehicle speed.

So, we're either looking at a bad ECU or most probably a bad Cruise Control Actuator to be the cause of this speed variation - if the engine is otherwise working OK, I would suggest replacing the Cruise Control Actuator. A Techstream or equivalent scan tool would have to be plugged in to analyze cruise control system data to confirm this is indeed the issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That sounds reasonable. Other than this issue the car runs perfectly. Thanks for your reply

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.