Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a toyota camry 2007 had 2 tires changed. since its

Customer Question

i have a toyota camry 2007 had 2 tires changed. since its oil check light flickers, got oil change, no change the problem remains. the mechaic says it needs oil pan gasket change, may cost over 450 dollars. i am a retired nurse. it is expensive, car has only 70000 miles
JA: What size is your engine? When was your last oil change?
Customer: i am not aware of the size of engine . changed oil this morning. my husband is a stroke patient . i am the sole driver
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no please
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: i am in durham nc and want it fixed. what is the danger, can i wait
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

If the oil pan is leaking, and has made the oil level low, this can cause the oil light to flicker. If the oil was changed, and the oil level is now correct, yes the light still flickers, then there is a problem with the Oil Pressure Sensor or a problem with the oil pump. Seeing as there are only 70,000 miles on the vehicle, it's more than likely not the oil pump, as these engines are not well-known for oil pump problems, especially at such low mileage. The oil pan gasket leaking will not cause the oil light to flicker, unless the oil level drops to such a point that it triggers the pressure sensor. As long as there are no unusual engine noises like ticking or knocking, I would suggest having the oil pressure sensor looked into. And if the oil pan gasket is leaking, keep an eye on the oil level. If the engine is allowed to run without oil, or too long with low oil level, this can cause severe internal engine damage. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you have any further question, please ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..