Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2001 Tacoma prerunner and it seems like it doesn't

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Tacoma prerunner and it seems like it doesn't accelerate like it used to. I was wondering if the front bearings are dragging or something. How easily should the front wheels spin?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Is your prerunner 4wd or 2wd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

2wd. The front wheels dont turn freely, i was wondering how to check for a possible stuck caliper?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The only real way to check for a stuck caliper is to remove the brake calipers and attempt to push them back in with a caliper retractor tool. If they don't push freely then they are bad and are likely sticking. Do you smell burned brakes when driving?

Do you have any unusual noise, like a hum from the front of the truck when driving?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

no, no brake smell or weird hums, it just feels like the truck is pulling something when i drive it. wheel bearing?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It could be a wheel bearing, especially if the wheels don't spin freely when you pick it up off the ground. If they do seem to spin ok then you might have an alignment or tire issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

feels like the front wheels drag a little when raised and spun

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I thought you had given up. Your question dropped onto my timed out list for lack of a positive rating and lapse of time.

Typically a bad wheel bearing will make a grumble or a hum noise when driving. The front brakes will drag slightly when spin while raised, but if it drags enough to stop the wheel immediately when spin then I would remove the wheel and tire and then remove the front brake caliper from the caliper bracket (no need to pull the brake line, just hang the caliper from the spring with a coat hanger or wire, and then spin just the hub. If it feels like the drag went away then the problem is in the front brakes. If the drag is still there then you should change the wheel bearing. Another way to check for a bad wheel bearing is to grab the top and bottom of the tire (while still on the vehicle) with the vehicle raised and see if it will rock back and forth from top to bottom. If it does then the wheel bearing is bad.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.