sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The alarm on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma is going off and I need

Customer Question

The alarm on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma is going off and I need to know how to reset the alarm - I don't have the remote key anymore - please helpūüôŹ
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 170,000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've already explained completely - now are you a person or a computer? Just tell what to do please!
JA: No. I'm the Toyota Mechanic's Assistant. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes - I can't get in vehicle without alarm sounding and therefore I'm trapped at home - and I have serious medical issues and MUST HAVE transportation!!!!!!!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I tried pushing the red flashing button on left under steering wheel while trying to start vehicle and that did not work. If I disconnect battery and reconnect, will that reset?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I paid the fee requested and I've not heard one single word from you, yet your email said I would receive a email & text shortly with my answer! Why have I not heard back from you?!?!?!?!?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It says I shud hear within 10 minutes and I've heard nothing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PLEASE - are you going to help me or not?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's a factory security system then it should disarm when unlocking a door manually with the key but from your description it sounds as if you have an aftermarket alarm. Disarm procedures would be different depending on what alarm it is, and some you may not be able to disarm without a fob.

Is the alarm aftermarket; do you know the brand and model?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The alarm system is the same along that came from the faculty with the truck when I bought it in 2001. Won't it reset if I disconnect both battery posts and then reconnect?What happened was I went and vacuumed out truck at car wash - came home, got out and closed door when I heard truck lock itself. Since it is garaged, I never keep locked so I turned and unlocked with my key, which caused the alarm system to go off. If you open door, it sounds for a while and then if you leave vehicle alone, it will stop. But each time I've opened door to attempt to reset, it alarms again and does exactly what it did before as far as alarming - it does not relock itself each time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alarm not along
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Factory not faculty

If you believe the alarm is factory then try unlocking the passenger door with the key also. Unlocking the doors manually or pressing the unlock button on the key fob are the two possible ways to disarm factory security.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried opening passenger door and drive's door with key - unsuccessful. No longer have key that originally came with truck as it wore out. Key I have does not have buttons to push. Here is a picture to show alarm is from factory IMG_8487.jpeg

You can use the upload file button in the toolbar to upload the picture.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Never mind - you are not going to be able to answer my question. This was a total waste of my money ������������

I've answered your question but I don't believe you're going to have the means to disarm it as is. If the system was controlled by buttons integrated to the ignition key itself then you aren't going to have disarm switches in the doors. A functioning key is going to be necessary to disarm it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, you never answered my question because it was a yes or no answer - your promoter just kept coming up to prompt me to call and y'all charge me $26 more. This is a total ripoff and I'm posting it everywhere I can - now please leave me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You conned me the first time, but not anymore ��

I don't have any control over anything you're seeing on that end other than the posts I write.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just so you can learn and hopefully so no one gets ripped off like I did in the future, you can reset a factory alarm by disconnecting both battery cables - both positive and ground - twice and then starting vehicle. Just so YOU CAN LEARN AND GET MY MONEY'S WORTH since I didn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now please do not contact me again - I don't know how to state that any nicer - and WONT If you contact me again !!!!!!!!!
Disconnecting the battery will arm a security system.If you no longer need help there is no need to reply.