Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Each time i lock the door of my ghlander/ after around 5

Customer Question

each time i lock the door of my highlander/ after around 5 second i here a beeping sound and the glass door hatch is open.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it started 3 days ago when i tried to use my wireless remote key to lock or start the car it is not working i even replace the battery on the remote. so i started using the key to open the car. but each time i lock the door with the key after 5 seconds i here a beep and the glass door hatch is open
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: the engine starts with the key the battery is as old as the car 3 years
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: none
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.

What year is your Highlander?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2013

Have you had a repair shop, like the Dealer look at this concern yet?

How many miles are on your Highlander?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No not yet. I have around 39000 miles on the car

Ok, the problem that we see on these is that the rear hatch glass switch will internally short and cause this condition. The repair usually run about $400 to remove the back door panel and replace the switch. With your vehicle just out of the 3year/36,000 mile warranty that would cover this, you may want to talk with the Service Director about a "Goodwill" repair. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

My pleasure. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me just as I have helped you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thanks agai

My pleasure!