Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Toyota 4 runner 2003 limited v8 4x4. Today I noticed a

Customer Question

Toyota 4 runner 2003 limited v8 4x4. Today I noticed a strange sound and slight vibration when applying my brake peddle but would stop after a few seconds. Minutes later I felt it again and the brake light indicator and a deafening alarm sounded and both stayed on. My breaks felt just fine. No stranger than normal besides that strange noise. But when the alarm sounded and the indicator went off the noise and vibration went away. I drove it 15 minutes back home with no problems except for that loud alarm. It stopped just fine and slowed down just fine. Once I parked it here at the house I checked everything under the hood. Good fluid, no leaks but every time I turned the key the alarm would sound. A few hours ago I drove it to the gas station a few miles down the road. Brakes felt fine and within a few minutes the brake light indicator turned off as well as the alarm and haven't had the problem since. Not sure what's going on and replacing the hydrobooster and master cylinder is way too costly to even keep it. And I read on many forums that this is really hard to diagnose. Like I say everything feels fine. My ABS, VSC on/off sensors haven't been working for the past year and I found out 6 months back that one of my wheel speed sensors were broken. Could this be a sensor? What symptoms should I look for in a bad hydroboost or master cylinder because right now there is absolutely no symptoms! Please help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

yes that ABS sensor could be the problem or the abs pump itself , what ypu feeling is a premature ABS engagement , we just need to find the cause of that

could be multiple things pump , sensor , ecm , yaw sensor , steering angle sensor etc or just that wheel sensor

do you have a abs scanner or a capable one that we can read data & retrieve codes

I had one similar like yours it turn out to be bad connector on pump

let me know