Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I have purchased a 2007 Camry in Dec.2015 but recently as

Customer Question

I have purchased a 2007 Camry in Dec.2015 but recently as March 2016 my Toyota ABS light has been coming on and off when I drive my car what could be the problem do you think I am making matters worst when I drive?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. The ABS light coming on indicates some type of electrical issue with the ABS system. When the light is on, the ABS system may not operate correctly. Driving it with this condition will not 'hurt' anything, as the primary hydraulic braking system is still operational. However, the ABS, if needed, in certain conditions, may not activate which could be adverse. The cause may either be a sensor, or, a low brake fluid condition in the brake master cylinder reservoir. If you check the reservoir, and it is low, do not top it off; the low condition meansd you have worn brake pads. Replacement of the pads will cause the brake fluid to rise in the reservoir.

I would recommend checking the brake fluid level, and, if good, get the ABS system scanned with a reeally good scan tool. (Generic scanners will not scan for ABS issues).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was under the impression that this Toyota had a life long brake fluid system whereas I wouldn't have to buy this fluid and furthermore is it dangerous driving this car with ABS ligt constantly appearing yes or no

There is no such thing as a 'long life' brake fluid in your car. In fact, I am aware of no such thing on any Toyota product. It is not dangerous to the car if you drive it. However, iof you encounter a situation (a skid condition), where the ABS is needed, it is not going to work properly. To answer your question, you can drive it with the light coming on, and have no damage incurred.