Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2008 ghlander 3.5L. Replaced with new alternator. Battery is

Customer Question

2008 highlander 3.5L. Replaced with new alternator. Battery is 4 months old, fully charged and tests at 12.61 volts. Uses Smart Key for keyless start. Lights work but unable to start. Press the start button and after the system check, it states "Brake malfunction", "ABS system error", "SRS Airbag error" and cycles through again. Never tries to start.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. When you enter the vehicle and put your foot on the brake, do you see the green light come on the start button? Was the battery disconnected when the alternator was being replaced? Any chance at all the battery positive got shorted to a ground, even for just a second?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The battery was removed before we removed the alternator. I don't get a green light, only an orange on the start button. The battery was not re-installed until we had completed everything and were ready to try and start it.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

OK, step out of the car with the key, lock it wirelessly, unlock it wirelessly, then enter the vehicle. On the key, there is a Toyota emblem on one side. Place that emblem right up next to the start button. Wait a second, then depress brake pedal while still holding the key next to the button. Press the button and see if it will start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I had already tried that. It does not activate with the emblem against the start button. Plus, it won't lock with the key, just unlock. We have removed one of the fusable links and found one that appears to be burnt out. Looking for the part here locally.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

If thats the case, its very likely something shorted in the process of this repair. It happens to all of us from time to time. Let me know if that doesnt get it going and we need to dig a little deeper.