Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2005 Prius on the dash there is a red car with a

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a 2005 Prius on the dash there is a red car with a key on the inside of it flashing. Can you tell me why and what to do
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When the car is locked there is a red car with a key in the middle of it flashing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well yes I am in the middle of no where and just bought the car this morning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: What is causing this to happen?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius.

The flashing light you are seeing is the Immobilizer light and from what you are describing, it is operating normally. Here is a quick video explaining the light and how, when you are not in the vehicle, will act as a warning to potential thieves to avoid your Prius as it's not an easy target. Here is the video..

Does this make sense?