Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Engine check light on on plus VSC plus ! In a circle plus !

Customer Question

Engine check light on on plus VSC plus ! In a circle plus ! In a red triangle.
JA: The VSC is usually a pretty quick diagnostic - let's see what the mechanic thinks - he'll have all the info you need. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car runs fine. It's hot outside but AC is working fine. 154000 miles Prius 2006.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing but texting you. Do not have an owner manual.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The check engine light should be the frist thing to deal with since it will turn the other lights on, this is as designed and those sytems are disabled as long as the check engine light is on. If you have an autozone parts store or something similar near you the usually diagnose the check engine light at no charge, the will help you do this. You will get some diagnostic codes from their code scanner, I need these code numbers, only for the check engine light at this time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
AutoZone could not provide a code to me. VSC seems to stand for Vehicle Stableization Controller something relating to the braking system. Brakes work fine but I did not test them in a sliding condition which this seems to indicate. The VSC light finally went out. The check engine light stayed on. Something about two checks of bad sensor lights fail light but takes three non failures sensed at ignition turn ons to get engine failure light to no longer light. Think whole thing an intermittent issue. If it comes back I will look deeper. Thanks for your help.

Youre welcome

Please feel free to contact me again with more information later.