mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I own a 2016 4runner that does not have auto headlights. I

Customer Question

I own a 2016 4runner that does not have auto headlights. I would like to install it myself if all possible. Can this be installed and what would it take?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 4 months ago.

do you know the trim line on your 4 runner?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a SR5 Premium.

it does not show as an available option for that trim line meaning it can not be added without replacing harness and so forth which you would be in the 5+ thousand dollars.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was hoping you could get ahold of Toyota tech support or some other resource to find out if the harness is already there and all I would need to do is and the light sensor and replace the headlight switch and possible it may need to be programmed. I already have spoken to dealerships and found it was not a dealership option. But that does not mean it can not be done. Please advise.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a wire and connector going to the light sensor from factory. So that tells me the other nec. Wiring could be in place.

that is how you know. i am a former toyota service tech at two different dealers. if it does not show it as an available option it means it is not pre wired for it. vehicle trim lines are only pre wired for the available accessories of that trim line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the red and blue sensor wire coming from the main body ecu to the light sensor that I am seeing means nothing? Please look to your resources if any and give me an answer other than "no" that this can not be done.

you can install the light sensor but it will not work with the rest of the system somethings have the prewiring for it and others do not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Note to self - Light sensor 89121-06020 and Light position Switch 84140-35171