Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The transmission shutters when in reverse if you give it a

Customer Question

The transmission shutters when in reverse if you give it a decent amount of gas. I have striven to make every effort to not use it at all. (reverse) But now it doesn't seem to want to shift correctly on it's own in the forward gears. It does a much more efficient job of shifting if I do it manually. Any ideas?
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I can't give you accurate answer on mileage because vehicle had other problems affecting that but it has 130,000 on it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it's a major job (transmission replacement) then no
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: This transmission has been flushed once about 10K miles ago, fluid color turned to brown and then shuttering started. Changed fluid which helped enormously. but now is showing other problems. This vehicle is my "workhorse" vehicle. I go get things that you might otherwise do in a pickup. But I never overload it and I never run it hard. I'm just hoping it's a cheap fix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I hate to be the one to tell you the bad news but it seems this transmission has seen better days and needs to be replaced. Replace it with either a good used one or a rebuilt exchange unit, don't let anyone try to talk you into fixing this one, it may end up being more expensive this way.