Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

CODE B1815 AIR BAG LIGHT IS ON : B1815 : THE CODE IS B1815 :

Customer Question

CODE B1815 AIR BAG LIGHT IS ON
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: B1815
JA: Huh?
Customer: THE CODE IS B1815
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: CODE B1815
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: MAYBE
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: IT 2006 WITH 30K MILES
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. What model is your Toyota?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SOLARA CONVERTIBLE
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Just to rule out some things, Has this vehicle been in an accident? Has any recent work been done to this vehicle? Do you have access to a scan tool to retrieve/clear the codes as we diagnose this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NEVER IN AN ACCIDENT,NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE TOO VEHICLE,MY FRIEND USED THE INNOVA SCAN TOOL AND GOT THE CODE B1815,
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Heres where we need to go with this. The code is for a short circuit in the passenger airbag circuit. So, we need to clear the codes, turn off the key, remove the glove box and disconnect the passenger side airbag, Turn on the key, clear the codes again, then see what codes we get coming up with the airbag disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'LL DO THAT TOMORROW AND GET BACK TOO YOU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY FRIEND THOUGH IT WAS THE AIR BAG IN THE PASSENGER SEAT,I'M HAPPY IT'S NOT THE SEAT
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

The code says 'front passenger airbag'in multiple places in the flow chart. I thought the same thing at first, until I looked at the whole flowchart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU I'LL GET YOU MORE INFO TOMORROW,I KNOW THEY HAD A TSB ON THE DASH MELTING AND DISTORTION I DO SEE THAT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE DO YOU THINK THAT DAMAGED THE AIRBAG??
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

The code says 'front passenger airbag'in multiple places in the flow chart. I thought the same thing at first, until I looked at the whole flowchart. I'll be waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I KNOW THEY HAVE A TSB ON DASHBOARD MELTING AND I DO SEE THAT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE DASHBOARD,COULD THAT RUIN THE AIR BAG
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Due to the design, the dash soft and sticky will not affect the airbag.