Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

Had to use the 4wd on my truck 08 Tundra this morning was no

Customer Question

Had to use the 4wd on my truck 08 Tundra this morning was no big deal and I did put it back in 2wd before I drove down the highway. I'm sure of this Drove about 15 miles everything was fine no shifting problems or warnings at all. Parked at my daughters house when I got ready to leave there was a warning that I was still in 4wd low and I check my switch but it was in 2wd high like I had put it. Now it won't go into any gear and if you try to put in park with the truck running it grinds and when you cut it off its still not going into park. Help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. OK. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I hope so
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuse for 4wd actuator it's good and disconnected battery to try to reset computer
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No 131,000 miles good service no other problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Is there someone else there that can help you look at some things? What I need to know is, with it in gear, does the front driveline turn as the truck moves forward or reverse?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Truck is like it's in nuetral won't lock into reverse or forward will have to get someone to help me look at drive shaft not sure
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm quite a ways from home if you think it's something electronic or simple that I can fix that's great otherwise I need to know so I can make other arrangements to get home
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Ok, well, heres something to try. Use a wood block or rubber hammer and tap on the actuator on the transfer case. Then try shifting it in and out of 4wd high and low. Basically, you need to get it out of the neutral position and engaged, then there may be more we can do. Ive never seen one get stuck in that position before. Usually, they get stuck in 4wd position.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tap on it didn't help also flashing vsc off ?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

This sounds like its going to be more complicated than just a simple fix. Probably will need some diagnostic tools to get to the bottom of it. Is there anything you have available to you right now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok calling tow truck thanks
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.