Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Battery ran down on ghlander 2007 hybrid. Tried to get a

Customer Question

battery ran down on highlander 2007 hybrid. Tried to get a jump but cables on incorrectly. Blew some fuses which I replaced and worked fine for a while. Now has power but won't start. Fuses fine. "check hybrid system" message....
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: brand new battery, bought it yesterday when problem started. Engine was turning over, now won't.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hmmm. Might be out of my depth.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: i don't think so. probably going to need a dealer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

hello,

Did you check the fuses under the hood? there are some long integrated fuse assemblies that have either a blue or brown top, they're about 1/4" wide, there are many segments inside these fuse link assemblies and it sounds like some may be blown out, which is what usually hppens if the battery was connecvted backwards or otherwise shorted out, these are not easy to replace as the fuse box has to be disassembled to remove and replace them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you are saying I should go to the dealer? Thanks.

Unless you have some tools and are able to take the fuse box apart to remove the bolts that hod the fuses in, my advice would be to do so.