sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2000 land cruiser has VSC ABS lights and audible siren go on

Customer Question

2000 land cruiser has VSC ABS lights and audible siren go on and off.
1 year ago my ABS would engage on a slow take off , say pullling out from a corner, right and turn, the ABS would engage, slowing the vehice and scaring the heck out of me. I replaced the entire ABS unit with a rebuilt from Cruiser Parts .com it worked fine for 14 months. Most recently the alarm siren has sounded and lights come on but no ABS engagedment of the wheels. I just replaced the VSC ( at a toyota dealer who told me I needed a new ABS $3500!!) I said just stick with the VSC and see what happens. I have been reading, Do you think it could be the speed sensor?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Currently the ABS does not engage as it did originally. Also, the siren does not sound every time the automobile is started, however upon initial start up about every 3rd start, the siren sounds and the VSC ABS and Brake lights come on. It will go off if I simply restart the car.
HMMMMMM already have $3000 in a $8000.00 car.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will cause an ABS light and lack of system operation. It may be a wiring issue, a wheel speed sensor, the hydraulic control unit, the brake switch, pump motor or the ABS module itself. It will take some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set in the ABS module. Do you know what codes are setting?
A dealer diagnosed the problem in person?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was diagnosed by a toyota tech at Lancaster Toyota, Lancaster PA. There were two codes that showed up on the diagnostic scan. One was the ABS unit itself and the other was the VSC. As I said, I replaced the ABS with a rebuilt unit 15 months ago.
The light and alarm do not stay on long, perhaps 20 sceonds. Sometimes, backing up turns it off. May I repeat, The ABS does not engage as it did originally. Just the lights for the ABS VSC BRAKE light up with the alarm.

I wouldn't really have a reason to doubt the dealer's diagnosis. Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry. I do not know the codes.
I do not doubt the dealers knowledge. I am hesitant to pull the trigger because of the cost of the repairs, and that it was done within 14 months. As I said I already have $3000 in it and the Toyota shop wants another $3500 to repair the entire unit. I use my Land Cruisers hard. I have property 8 miles in a dirt road and go there often. It is closed to traffic in the winter, except for the LC. I have 3 of them, a 95, and two 2000, as well as a 02 Sequia and an 08 HIghlander.Prior to replacing the VSC last week. The lights and alarm would stay on for as long the car was running. now it goes off with in 20 seconds. Will this change and the alarm will eventually become steady again ?
Thank you for your help

Were you looking for another opinion?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
less expensive.

In person testing will be required for an actual diagnosis. If you can give me the fault codes that are set I could give you possible and most likely causes for the issue.

If their diagnosis is correct then the only way the repair could be done for cheaper is if you had used or aftermarket parts installed, but that would come with quality concerns.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, may I contact you when I have the diagnosis numbers ?
Thank You
Jon Sheetz

Yes, you can come back and reply here at any time.