Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

Would a speed sensor cause transmission problems and if so

Customer Question

Would a speed sensor cause transmission problems and if so what would those symptoms be this is a question about an 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 v8 sr5 transmission model AB60E
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. There are several speed sensors on this vehicle. Are you referring to a wheel speed sensor, engine speed sensor, or speed sensor on the transmission? Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
engine light p0500
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Is your speedometer working?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Ok, give me a minute to look up the relevant information.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

This is a complicated sounding system, but it really isnt when its all broken down. Basically the vehicle speed is determined in a linear fashion. Each wheel speed sensor sends a signal to the ABS computer. The ABS computer creates a single signal based on the 4 wheel speed sensor inputs and sends this signal to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster does 2 things. First, it takes the signal from the ABS computer and makes the speedometer work based on that signal. Then, it sends another speed signal to the engine computer. So, basically,

Wheel speed --->ABS computer --->Instrument cluster(speedometer)--->Engine computer

Since your speedometer is working, you can determine that everything is working up to that point. So, there are 3 things that could be happening here.

1) The instrument cluster is not sending an output signal to the engine computer

2) There is a wiring problem between the instrument cluster and the engine computer

3) The engine computer is not registering the signal from the instrument cluster

I would look very closely at the wiring harness on the inside fender wells to see if there could be any damage. Rodent damage is very likely and can happen due to squirrels or pack rats in almost any environment.

If you see nothing there, we will need to do some more in depth diagnosis to isolate the cause of this code. It will require having a good digital volt meter, some backprobe pins, and knowledge of auromotive 12 volt circuitry.

This code CAN cause the shifting of the transmission to be erratic, but if there are some major shifting issues, it could be caused by something else.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My truck isn't going into reverse could this be due to the speed senor
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

No, This will be a mechanical issue and will require diagnosis inside the transmission. Likely, you will need a replacement or rebuilt transmission.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem is it won't go in reverse do u know what that might be
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

That will be a mechanical issue inside the transmission. Reverse is purely mechanical on this transmission. Possibly something in the valve body, or could be a hard part actually broken in the transmission. Too many possibilities to know for sure. I would recommend checking to see how much it will cost to get the transmission rebuilt in your area.