Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Replaced alternator in my 1999 Toyota solara touched the

Customer Question

Replaced alternator in my 1999 Toyota solara touched the terminal to the motor saw a couple of sparks car starts no electrical won't allow me to change gears earthier! So bummed!!
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No interior lights dash lights won't come out of park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd sure like to
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

shorting that wire to ground will always result in some blown fuses. First, check the 80-100 amp alternator fuse located in the fuse box under the hood, there is a fuse diagram in the cover, this fuse supplies power to most of the electrical system, it has a clear plastic cover on it, check to see if the filament is burned out.