Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Only the driver door unlocks when I use either the key fob

Customer Question

Only the driver door unlocks when I use either the key fob or the door switch.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Only the drivers door unlocks - not all four doors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: asking you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your Toyota questions. What year and model is your vehicle? Do you have access to a digital volt meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2011 Camry No, I do not have a digital volt meter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when will you respond?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Ok, more often than not, when we see an issue like this, the lock actuators have failed in the doors not working. You will need a digital volt meter to be certain. One can be found very inexpensively at harbor freight tools if there is one in your area. If the lock actuators are not the cause, we will likely still need this meter to help you check the system. Give me a bit to look up the wiring diagram for your vehicle and see if there is something easy we can check before we have a meter available.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

There is nothing separating the operation of these door locks. I have verified that all are controlled through the body computer and share common grounds. So, we will be needing a digital voltmeter to proceed with troubleshooting this issue. You will also need some basic hand tools such as screwdrivers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I noted previously, the drivers side and passenger side door mounted switched do not activate anything but the drivers door. I do not belive that all three actuators failed at exactly the same time. Is there a relay that controls the other doors?