Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

I have 4 or 6 power outlets and none work. if i plug in a

Customer Question

i have 4 or 6 power outlets and none work. if i plug in a charger, it blows the fuse for my radio. i have replaced the fuses and used 20 amp with no resolution. who fixes this type of issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i would like to if easy enough
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: i want to replace my radio as when i hit a bump it shuts off. may be related
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Does the fuse blow immediately when you plug in your charger? Is it the same with all outlets? Have you tried a different 12 volt accessory?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it blows immediately, i have not tried a 12 volt because the fuse i took out was a 20 volt, and when i went online to troubleshoot, the info i found said to use a 20 volt
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

I think you misunderstood. Not 12 amp, as in a fuse, but a different charger, adapter, etc.... Never raise the amperage of the fuse you are using. This is a poor practice that can result in expensive damage to your vehicle wiring. Only use the correct amperage rated fuses.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
oh, sorry,no i have only tried my phone car charger.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i am taking a trip with my granddaughter and wanted her to have an outlet to plug in dvd player
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Try another adapter/charger. It is very likely this is causing your issue. Almost every time we see this in the shop, the charger is the culprit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the charger works in other vehicles
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Every vehicle is slightly different. I still recommend trying another adapter, however, assuming that one is not the issue, get a flashlight and check inside the socket you are pluggiing it in to for any metallic debris that can cause a short. I have seen gum wrappers, coins, etc...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the socket does no seem to be stable? can the sockets be replaced?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, I wasnt on yesterday. Yes they can. Its a little tricky to get them out, and I suggest replacing the bezel as well.